• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Laid-Back Camp Season 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

So you could say the version we got was... abridged.

I see what you did there. Smile

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the reason Rin and Ayano see raccoons on the bridge is due to anime. Shocked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rascal_the_Raccoon
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

So you could say the version we got was... abridged.

I see what you did there. Smile

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the reason Rin and Ayano see raccoons on the bridge is due to anime. Shocked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rascal_the_Raccoon

Going by the markings, particularly the tails, I'm pretty sure that those were tanuki and not raccoons.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I have not only crossed such a bridge - I have found a geocache that was attached (magnetically) to such a bridge.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Fun episode. Felt like a bit more banter and texting throughout and some of the oddball locations that help things along in laid back camping, along with multiple camping sequences at the same time; I think thats generally best when its small groups. The last suspension bridge sequence probably a highlight of the season so far.

The animation is where it is, didn't detract really for me this week which was a solid fun episode of camping.

The multiple tunnel sequence could really have done with some narration over it or something. They clearly knew it didn't work super well and did it at maximum speed, but it was still the worst minute of the episode. But if I'm nitpicking a minute, thats because it was a good episode.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I have to question what that 7m tunnel was even built for. It isn't supporting or protecting anything Laughing
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Probably the most tense the show has been since that time Ena/Aoi/Aki almost froze to death. But Aya and Rin still make a very effective pair.

I wonder if those two older ladies are seeding a future big trip for the girls.

Poor Nadeshiko having to brave that tunnel and dealing with the little decorations locals have put up...

Cute conductor girl!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:13 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I have to question what that 7m tunnel was even built for. It isn't supporting or protecting anything Laughing

The narrator explains that the tunnel was an abandoned railway tunnel. The tunnel actually exists and there's a few real life videos of people going through it.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 pm Reply with quote
The fourth is the best episode so far this season. Narratively, it had a little bit of nearly everything fun and cozy about Yurucamp-- stunning vistas, local food, hot springs, friendly fellow travelers, and so on. And no, I wouldn't cross that bridge (though it was a treat to see that scene animated!).

Speaking of which, the bike animation was better here. Overall, the visuals still aren't perfect, but they're improving.

Beltane70 wrote:
The narrator explains that the tunnel was an abandoned railway tunnel. The tunnel actually exists and there's a few real life videos of people going through it.

If you follow the "it's very real" link in the Ep. 4 review, you can see photos of the campsite, including the tunnel.
Exodus007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I wish Steve would stop shipping Rin and Nadeshiko. There's no romance in this show. They are all just friends...why is that so hard for people to enjoy and accept. Not everyone falls in love in every show like this...
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:00 am Reply with quote
Exodus007 wrote:
I wish Steve would stop shipping Rin and Nadeshiko. There's no romance in this show. They are all just friends...why is that so hard for people to enjoy and accept. Not everyone falls in love in every show like this...

Especially when none of the girls/young women are in relationships with each other 8 or 10 years later in the Yuru CampΔ Movie.

Only mating going on in EP 4 is that of the cog-rail engine with the regular train cars. Wink
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:17 am Reply with quote
Taking issue with a silly shipping comment? Laughing

I wouldn't take much stock inwhatever showed up in the Movie since that was an original written by someone else and the manga is ongoing, but I doubt it was supposed to be that serious in the first place.
q_3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Especially when none of the girls/young women are in relationships with each other 8 or 10 years later in the Yuru CampΔ Movie.

In fact the movie has none of them in a relationship with anyone, or apparently ever having been in or having any interest in a relationship, leading me to hypothesize that the species Homo Yurucamp reproduces asexually.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:31 pm Reply with quote
It was nice to see the girls all together and getting to partake in some fine Laid-Back Camp dining. We get Bagworm Aya, Nadeshiko and Aya catching up, Rin reaching meat nirvana...good stuff.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:50 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
In fact the movie has none of them in a relationship with anyone, or apparently ever having been in or having any interest in a relationship, leading me to hypothesize that the species Homo Yurucamp reproduces asexually.

If it was yuri, Rin and Nadeshiko would have purchased rectangular sleeping bags that zip together into one larger bag.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2