• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 150 Suncoast, Sam Goody stores closing in 2004

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Aesop's Ego wrote:
Best Buy is great, but their selection is wanting.

The Best Buy near me has practically exploded its anime collection. I went in there three or four months ago and saw that they only had a tiny alcove of a shelf for anime. A couple weeks later I checked back and that alcove had at least tripled in size. Shocked

Anyway, I've mostly shopped at Media Play for anime...larger collection than all the local Suncoasts, and even though they're both run by the same parent company, I've noticed that Media Play's prices are oh-so-slightly lower.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I like Suncoast, but never for any of the Japanese snacks they sell. Why pay $3.99 for Pocky when your local Japanese grocery store sells it for $1.19? What's more ridiculous is that they're charging $3.99 for Yan-Yan when you can get it at your mom-n-pop shop for $0.79.

Lazyness? Or perhaps if you went to your local japanese market it would actually be more money because its so far away. You'd be paying a lot more because the money towards gas. So going to Suncoast is cheaper because it is closer, therefore gas isnt a very big money factor or equals it out. It really depends on that, the distance.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:08 am Reply with quote
What's all of this "was" talk? It's not like they're all closing, just 150 of them. These stores are probably their worse performers and keeping them open was probably costing them more than they were worth. It's not all a loss, they are rebuilding 50 of them so if your store closes you've still got a good chance of a new one openning near by.

So, no need for mass histaria and no need for lamanting the dead, this is only going to effect a few of us.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:59 am Reply with quote
BERSERK EVA wrote:
Lazyness? Or perhaps if you went to your local japanese market it would actually be more money because its so far away. You'd be paying a lot more because the money towards gas. So going to Suncoast is cheaper because it is closer, therefore gas isnt a very big money factor or equals it out. It really depends on that, the distance.

Hah! I drive a Honda Civic HX Coupe (35mpg city/44mpg hwy), so gas is absolutely no issue if Little Tokyo is 15 miles away from my pad. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
setzer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:58 pm Reply with quote
There is a Sam Goody in Portland and there is a Suncoast at the Vancouver, WA mall and I never see too many people in there, ecspecially the Sam Goody in Portland. I hope they don't close, but for some reason I think at least 1 of them might.
Moon_Aura

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Anime smile I wouldn't really be very upset if "my" Suncoast closed. While, I do like pocky, it wouldn't be that great a lost. Rolling Eyes
If they're only closing some of their weaker stores, I might not even have to worry at all. Oh, and I've never heard of a "local japanese grocery store." Well, I've heard of that, but I don't believe we actually have a local one where I live. It would be nice, though. And I can't be certain.
Lucca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:11 pm Reply with quote
My local Suncoast has already been closed, and supposedly isn't gonna come back.
Now I have to drive an hour to get to the nearest one, and about the pocky thing:

It's at LEAST three hours (traffic pending) to get to the nearest one for me. There's a lot of Indian and Mexican Import markets, but no Chinese/Japanese/Korean ones. So to some, yeah, the Pocky does matter... ^^;;

Honestly, I'm just gonna wait and see... I don't think I'll be too affected...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Swordfish II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:19 pm Reply with quote
My local Suncoast is located in a mall a few miles from my house. Best Buy is along the way, it's own store standing alone. The two stores have a excellent source of Anime. Manga, to my knowledge, is only found at Suncoast.

The situation:Best Buy had the best prices on single Anime DVDs and Box sets.

Problem: Suncoast(where I am at least) has the most Box Sets, either ones with all the series together or the first DVD in a series of 3 to 8. Since Best Buy doesn't have these certain boxes(example:Love Hina Moving In with DVD Box able to fit all 6.)

Solution: There are four.

1.)The first being that also near my general area, there is a Movie Trading Company, a huge store that with Used and new Anime DVDs, along with normal movies all at terrific prices.

2.)Amazon.com. That is an excellent solution to this problem because they offer [i]fast shipping[/i](not too expensive) and the item gets to you in excellent condition.(They can keep anything from getting heavily damaged. They must have so many wrapping techniques... imagine)

3.)Ebay. This is probably your last resort for Anime DVDs because you are at risk of fake or better called 'bootleg' DVDs and their packaging. But if you investigate what the DVD should look like, see a matching picture(hopefully not copied and pasted) the item should be legitimate.

4.)The best solution for last... Best Buy. They basicly have all the same Anime DVDs that Suncoast has with an exception to a few harder to find ones. But, I believe Bestbuy.com or in the store itself, you can special order almost anything your heart desires.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2