• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Denno Coil

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Mitsuo Iso's series debut, Denno Coil, aired yesterday in its prime-time slot on NHK Kyoiku station, available in every household in Japan. This highly-anticipated series is a big deal for me and it's about time we began discussing it.

First of all, Mitsuo Iso--who is he? Chances are you haven't heard of him before, but you're definitely familiar with his work. Iso is one of Japan's most talented key animators. He animated Kintaro trying to swim in Ep. 4 of Golden Boy, the climax from the first Ghost in the Shell film (Kusanagi fighting the tank), a scene from episode 19 of Evangelion (Unit 01 turns into a beastly creature and devours an angel) and the incredible Askua vs. 9 white Evas fight in End of Evangelion, and some incredibly moving animation from the emotional climax in Junkers Come Here, among other amazing feats. Episode 15 of RahXephon, one of the series' best looking (and, in my opinion, most interesting) episodes, marked his directorial debut.

Actually, you can check out a montage of most of his major scenes here (ignore the pop music Wink). And here's another one. Oddly enough, both are missing the GITS tank sequence, which I consider one of his most significant KA scenes.

After his episode of RahXephon, Iso kind of disappeared from radar for a while and has re-emerged now, 5 years later, with his very own series in tow: Denno Coil. From an animator's perspective, this series is significant. It marks a collaboration of Japan's finest animators and ADs, and looks to be one of the most legitimately best-looking, if not the best, TV anime series ever produced. Staff credits besides Iso include animation "chiefs" Toshiyuki Inoue, called the "perfect animator" by Mamoru Oshii (KA on Jin-Roh, Kiki's Delivery Service, Akira, AD on Blue Submarine No. 6 and Blood: The Last Vampire) and Takeshi Honda (KA on Nadia, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Paranoia Agent, Windy Tales, Gankutsuou, etc).

The studio handling animation production is Madhouse, who I've warmed up to considerably in the past couple of months after seeing their involvement in Kemonozume and TokiKake. Animation directors will include Madhouse regulars Takeshi Honda (examples of work), Toshiyuki Inoue (examples of work), Ei Inoue, Kiyotaka Oshiyama, Masami Itatsu and others.

This series is Iso's baby, a concept that he has been working on for, get this, fourteen years. It involves a fictional, futuristic city that is half real, half Internet environment. Children use visors called "Denno magane" interact with the computer environment. While the premise itself is an interesting one, what makes me most excited about it are the limitless possibilities for unique and interesting animation here.

I just watched the ep. 1 raw and the first episode alone is practically movie-quality and filled to the brim with imaginative, whimsical animation and solid character movement. When this series is picked up by fansubbers and an R1 distributor (I'm 100% sure this will happen with something as high-quality as Denno Coil), anybody who considers themselves even vaguely interested in high-quality animation, whether they're an anime fan or not, owes it to themselves to check this show out. It has raised the bar and set the new standard for TV anime.

For more information on Iso and Denno Coil, check out Ben Ettinger's write-ups from AniPages Daily.

Last edited by Cloe on Sun May 13, 2007 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
<greatness>

Yeah, Denno Coil is going to be the best anime this season, and is a definite candidate for best anime of 2007. The credentials here should give every indication that this will be a technical masterpiece. From the trailer that I've already seen and bits and pieces that I've browsed through with the raw of episode one (waiting for a fansub group to release it, and one has already guaranteed that they will), it's going to blow every other television anime series out of the water. Kyoto Animation and Production I.G. have nothing on this. (I have been toting the Ghost Hound banner, and since it's the latter studio's 20th Anniversary project I can expect a massive amount of money pumped into it.)

And you haven't taken to Madhouse until just recently, Cloe? They've been my favorite anime studio ever since I start to learn about which one is which, and I'm probably their second biggest fanboy on ANN (DKL takes the top spot). Their resume is the best in the business, since you have such a wonderful variety of works coming out from them with something that just about anybody can appreciate, which I can't say for other studios. They've also been around for ages.

Quote:
This series is Iso's baby, a concept that he has been working on for, get this, fourteen years. It involves a fictional, futuristic city that is half real, half Internet environment. Children use visors called "Denno magane" interact with the computer environment. While the premise itself is an interesting one, what makes me most excited about it are the limitless possibilities for unique and interesting animation here.

Before I'd ever seen any pictures of Denno Coil, I'd read a plot synopsis thinking that this would be some kind of Serial Experiments Lain. Then I saw the kids, and I realized, "Wait, these are characters that I might actually grow attached to." Anime smile + sweatdrop

I'll comment more once the first episode is fansubbed. Truly, any anime fan that even remotely considers that they have "mature and/or unique tastes" needs to check this series out.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
And you haven't taken to Madhouse until just recently, Cloe? They've been my favorite anime studio ever since I start to learn about which one is which, and I'm probably their second biggest fanboy on ANN (DKL takes the top spot).

I've never disliked them. On the other hand, I've never really been like "ZOMG Madhouse! <3 <3" either. I've always been a fan of their work on Satoshi Kon films and other features like Metropolis and Neo Tokyo, but I'm more attracted to Studio 4°C's nonconformism, and I was a Production I.G. fangirl before I knew about 4°C. And Satelight fills out the remaining top 3 spot. [EDIT: Oh wow, how could I have forgotten GAINAX? Scratch what I said before; GAINAX is #3, Satelight is #4.]

This year, though, Madhouse has buttered me up with one great project after another and they're rising rapidly on my "favorite production houses" list (although individuals are far more important to the outcome of a project than a studio name). Production I.G.'s track record--especially for feature films--is still more impressive than the other studios, but at this point I have to concede that Madhouse runs most of the competition into the ground as far as TV work goes. Especially now that they have this gem on their hands.

Iso + Inoue + Honda = greatness.

Last edited by Cloe on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.. maybe I'll be labeled a blasphemer here but, while I really enjoy it when done well in a series or story I am already enjoying, animation is on the lower part of my totem pole when I'm selecting anime to watch, and I'm fairly ignorant about it anyway, so I'm not in it for that, but the concept does almost beg for an interesting story here so I'll be on board as soon as I can get a subtitle to understand it. The animation to me just seems like it'll be a bonus if the story is as good as I think it can be.

This concept seems fairly original, but given the time frame you mentioned it came about being convinced, it is actually rather amazing. Living in this half and half "realm" of sorts, created by an unnatural balance. There is just a wide spectrum of possibilities for a story to unfold. Add in the definite possibilities in mystery and intrigue elements and it seems like something that could potentially really hook me as a story lover.

I have only seen a promo for it but I was pretty interested in seeing what was going on from that alone, I'm also a character lover and from the promo it looks like this series will have some great ones with some terrific character designs, and after reading the summary in the Encyclopedia here and that link you posted to Ben Ettinger, I'm even more interested, so I'll definitely be looking out for a sub as soon as they get one going.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Hmm.. maybe I'll be labeled a blasphemer here but, while I really enjoy it when done well in a series or story I am already enjoying, animation is on the lower part of my totem pole when I'm selecting anime to watch, and I'm fairly ignorant about it anyway, so I'm not in it for that, but the concept does almost beg for an interesting story here so I'll be on board as soon as I can get a subtitle to understand it. The animation to me just seems like it'll be a bonus if the story is as good as I think it can be.

While I agree that storytelling comes first in judging the merits of a series, I tend to believe that good characterization and good (or, at the very least, moderately good) animation go hand-in-hand, since it's the character acting that really makes or breaks an audience's perceptions about what's going on, story-wise. If a character is moving like wood during an emotionally charged moment, chances are I'm not going to be very emotionally invested in the scene. Also, animation can provide characters with endearing little visual quirks which make them more interesting, like this amazing little guy named "Oyaji" in Denno (I won't say anymore to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but he kind of fits his name). In short, good animation is what turns a good story into a great one, IMO.

Anyway, I think Denno Coil is a very solid story all-around. I've only watched one episode so far, without subs to boot, but I found all the characters interesting and engaging and the ways they interact with the digital environment are very clever and original. In a "wow, what a neat idea!" kind of way instead of a "geh, I've seen this a million times before" kind of way. I'll obviously be able to comment more on story later, when I'm able to understand 100% of what's going on. For now, though, I'm focusing on what really stands out without having to cross the language barrier: the incredible visuals. I have to agree with Ben's comment (from the AniPages blog):

Quote:
This is one of the few TV anime I've ever seen that has that sort of broad, neutral audience appeal, at least at this level of quality. I think it's a good thing for this show to have appeared now, since it shows another possible path for the industry, which seems stuck in a rut of fan pandering.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Madhouse is a really unusual studio.

When you think about how many feature-length films they've done in the last 2 years, alongside numerous TV shows... it's quite strange how all of this is being churned out of one studio; this leaves me with the impression that Madhouse must be far larger than most Japanese Animation studios (and by a good margin).

Going back to the movies, let's list them: Tokikake (which won all the awards), Paprika, Kawajiri's Highlander AND Masayuki Kojima is probably wrapping up his work on Piano No Mori (and this is right after having come from the 74-episode nightmare, Monster, and the OAV which no one has seemed to have subbed yet, A Spirit of the Sun)... not many studios release this much content in such a short amount of time, but, the thing is, these productions aren't exactly what you could call “lightweights”... not to mention the fact that Kon is already working on his next piece; it's amazing how they can keep going at this pace.

THEN, when you look at the TV stage, Death Note and Devil May Cry are shaping out to be very sharp productions, despite the fact that they're very mainstream (meaning that they could’ve just dicked around, quality be damned, since they’d still do pretty good anyway).

I mean, you see stuff like the 25th episode of Death Note (with its super detail and cohesive subtle movements), you have to wonder WHERE they found the time and money to do all this; I can’t seem to understand it myself.

Strangest of all, however, is how the niche-type shows that they do tend to be very high quality... Akagi and Texhnolyze are pretty [really] good examples, but then I'm sure Cloe would put emphasis Kemonozume as well (which I haven't really seen, but the first half of episode 1 was pretty strange and interesting… just wish someone would bring it over already so I could buy it).

And, lastly… Masao Maruyama works as a producer on almost ALL these shows (in fact, it almost can't really be called a Madhouse show if you don't see his name tagged somewhere... which I think was the case with Magic Users Club TV... but then, I really liked the Magic Users Club TV series... *which... I think they did alongside Triangle staff*); he probably has to attend all these damn meetings and negotiations for the duration of how long it takes to get this stuff off the ground… it’s amazing for a man of his age to be doing stuff like that.

(and, if you must know… it’s my goal as an Otaku to one day meet him in person… I should really try going to Otakon next year… but… I’m so lazy… and cheap…)

While it all can’t be super-good (as I’ve had a few disappointments with the studio as well… most recently probably being Osamu Kobayashi’s lack of an extra episode for Paradise Kiss... that one was particularly hard for me to accept, I might add), there’s more than enough that is [super good].

ANYWAY… I was also looking forward to this (big surprise); the promo video shown during the TAF was pretty neat.

ALSO… wow, I really liked the Mitsuo Iso montage; that was so impressive (I actually haven’t seen a lot of those works…)... no, I mean, DAMN... that was pretty godly.

I wish I could follow stuff like that better (as I’m usually only at the “director” level of production), but it’s hard because of the barriers created by language…

I need to learn Japanese.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes!

I remember reading that Madhouse had this new up-and-coming talent named Atsuko Ishizuka (she has apparently worked with Morio Asaka and Masayuki Kojima)...

Here's an example of her work (a really really cool music video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGGosbhvcKc

Is she gonna be on board with this show too?
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
While I agree that storytelling comes first in judging the merits of a series, I tend to believe that good characterization and good (or, at the very least, moderately good) animation go hand-in-hand, since it's the character acting that really makes or breaks an audience's perceptions about what's going on, story-wise. If a character is moving like wood during an emotionally charged moment, chances are I'm not going to be very emotionally invested in the scene. Also, animation can provide characters with endearing little visual quirks which make them more interesting, like this amazing little guy named "Oyaji" in Denno (I won't say anymore to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but he kind of fits his name). In short, good animation is what turns a good story into a great one, IMO.

Oh, I agree with you completely here. When the animation helps complete the story as much as the plot and dialogue it can turn a good show into a great one. I've seen some incredible series told even more brilliantly with changes or subtleties in the animation. Like Paranoia agent for instance, again I'm pretty ignorant about animation, but in this show I love where the colors seemed a little brighter for certain scenes and then a bit darker for others, almost telling you something that isn't said in the dialogue. Or the use of shadows and different tones, shades, and even different spectrums in other parts. It is just a factor that really adds to the story already being told and helps complete it rather than just providing special effects and scenery for the story to take place in.

And from what I saw in the promo for Denno Coil the animation is going to play a big role in this story so while the story concept is luring me in, I do believe that the animation can be a huge bonus and make it overall more entertaining and pleasing at the same time.

Sorry, I hope I make sense.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I remember reading that Madhouse had this new up-and-coming talent named Atsuko Ishizuka (she has apparently worked with Morio Asaka and Masayuki Kojima)... Is she gonna be on board with this show too?

I just looked through the credits of episode one and didn't spot her name, but I suppose there's a chance she'll show up later. She's probably not involved in this project, though, since Iso has been working on it for so long and so many animation veterans are involved, many pulled in from outside of Madhouse. She does cool work, though. Thanks for telling me about her. I like that she writes her name out with hiragana; it's strange and interesting.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
EDIT:

You know what? I'll just post the quote:

(the one in bold is what Cloe was talking about)

Quote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mitsuo Iso, one of the most talented and influential Japanese animators of the 1990s, is going to be a director. The first piece of information to be made public about the top-secret project that has kept him occupied for the last three or four years has just been posted on the newly-created official site. More will follow with time on the site and in Animage. The novel on which the anime is to be based will be published shortly by Tokuma Shoten, which hosts the site. Iso is credited as creator, writer and director, and it's to be produced at Madhouse. The illustration by Iso gives the first glimpse into what we can expect of the project visually. Unusually, the page makes a public call for applications from experienced animators and directors to join the production staff. I've never seen such a thing for a big studio project before. Presumaly the project is to be a TV series, since they're calling for enshutsu, which usually means episode directors. The title translates literally to "Electric Brain Coil", denno or 'electric brain' being the antiquated term for computer.

I... think it was from Moonphase; I'm not sure.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I... think it was from Moonphase; I'm not sure.

From AniPages, actually. Wink That little news tidbit was written in February of 2006, if you can believe it.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
Oh okay... that makes sense.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm feeling lazy so I'll comment on some of DKL's stuff later... and I'm still waiting for a fansub of episode one. Gah, need some more Denno Coil love...

Cloe wrote:
And Satelight fills out the remaining top 3 spot.

?

Specific examples, maybe?

I like Studio 4°C for being the definition of "imagination" when it comes to Japanese animation, but their type of work either immensely appeals to me or else not much at all. Then again my tastes obviously differs from yours (don't quite think anyone is quite like you on this forum, in that regard).

Production I.G. I've really started to warm up to, though. They might be my favorite studio behind Madhouse. The Ghost in the Shell franchise (save for Innocence), the Patlabor OVAs (original) and first two movies, Le Chevalier D'Eon, Windy Tales, Guardian of the Sacred Spirit, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, etc. That amount of work saves them from my not-so-favorites such as Blood: The Last Vampire and (ugh) Blue Seed.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Gah, need some more Denno Coil love...

SERIOUSLY. I can't wait until the first episode is subbed and the "Wow!!!"s start pouring in.

HellKorn wrote:
Cloe wrote:
And Satelight fills out the remaining top 3 spot.

Specific examples, maybe?

Arjuna, baby! Until Denno Coil, the best-looking TV anime ever (in my not-so-humble opinion) and still in my top 5 favorite list after, what, 6 years now since I first saw it. It's where my username comes from. I tell everybody to watch it, but your mileage may vary depending on your open-mindedness and willingness to interpret legitimate environmental concerns as anything other than "preachy," which seems to be most people's complaints. Then there's Spring and Chaos, Macross Zero, and more recently Noein, by the same studio. All beautiful productions. A newer kid on the block, but always consistent and visually pleasing.

HellKorn wrote:
Production I.G. I've really started to warm up to, though. They might be my favorite studio behind Madhouse. The Ghost in the Shell franchise (save for Innocence), the Patlabor OVAs (original) and first two movies, Le Chevalier D'Eon, Windy Tales, Guardian of the Sacred Spirit, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, etc. That amount of work saves them from my not-so-favorites such as Blood: The Last Vampire and (ugh) Blue Seed.

If we're not talking story, but simply the quality of animation, I don't think anyone has surpassed I.G. yet (besides Ghibli, a studio which exceptionally talented I.G. people often freelance for). Blood's story may have been non-existent, but it's one of the best looking anime films ever made. Same goes for (guh) Innocence, which I absolutely hated--since all that amazing animation was wasted.

I kind of love Blue Seed, too. Razz It's one of my early favorites. "Mysterious Toyko! Take it easy dangerous night! Mysterious Tokyo! Pick me up foxy night game!"

Getting back to Denno Coil and something undeadben mentioned in passing earlier, I'd like to quote something wao said on another forum about the use of animation in this, because it perfectly sums up my feelings about how good animation can enhance characterization:
Quote:
I think it's a waste of words describing how amazing the animation is, because you honestly have to see it for yourself. It's a standard that's hard for most TV anime to reach, and I expect there will be some eps with comparatively sub-par animation for sure, but it isn't just about merely fluid animation and pretty faces: the animation tells the story. That is exactly what the best animation should do, IMO. The movements, expressions, poses, etc. of the children describe their personalities and emotions and reactions at the point of time as well as further the sequence of events in a beliveable fashion. There's no need for long descriptions or explanations from the get-go despite the complicated designs, because they speak for themselves.
adonais

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:20 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
SERIOUSLY. I can't wait until the first episode is subbed and the "Wow!!!"s start pouring in.

Well, I did watch the first episode raw right after you started this thread (thanks for the tip btw, this will definitely be worth following). I was just going to steal a glimpse, no more than 5 minutes or so and then wait for the sub, but I got sucked in and watched the whole thing. I was indeed a bit wowed from the start, the flickering digital print-throughs of a hidden cyberspace against a drab suburban backdrop certainly tickled my fancy, already from the opening credits. Then at some point I felt like I was dropped into Miyazaki land (Hayao), and the whole feeling of the show somehow shifted toward the silly, lessening the awe somewhat. Of course I'm missing most of the dialogue at this point, which I'm sure can only improve my impression. Beginner though I am (of the language), I found it surprisingly easy to follow events even so. I guess that might be a testament to what you already quoted, that:

Quote:
the animation tells the story. That is exactly what the best animation should do, IMO. The movements, expressions, poses, etc. of the children describe their personalities and emotions and reactions at the point of time as well as further the sequence of events in a beliveable fashion. There's no need for long descriptions or explanations from the get-go despite the complicated designs, because they speak for themselves.

If that's the case, who needs subs..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6