• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Settles in Class Action Suit Regarding User Information Privacy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I don’t have an email either but I guess if it was in junk Mail I deleted it.
Kicchu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Gestrid wrote:
What was the email's subject? Asking so I know what to look for.

It is, "Legal Notice of Class Action Settlement" and the sender is Kroll Settlement Administration, LLC
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:30 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
The per-affected-person amount's only $30 on average, right? Is it common for a large percentage of people not to claim their part of that? I don't seem to have received the email, but that amount doesn't seem high enough to jump through a bunch of bureaucratic hoops for Shocked

EDIT: Also, I really wish they'd, instead, just let me pay extra to bar them from using my data in sales to other companies. I realize there's a value to information about people, but I really dislike how law, policy, and convention has developed in this area; I think there's still time to reverse how readily companies can build effective profiles of people, but most tech companies are definitely not trending in that direction.

And here I was surprised it was so much money, these things usually "award" vicitems with less than a dollar.

It's also kinda funny that you'd prefer to PAY THEM MORE for what they did than be given money. Are you a masochist? Laughing

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
It's also kinda funny that you'd prefer to PAY THEM MORE for what they did than be given money. Are you a masochist? Laughing

Hah. I mean -- I don't want to reward them for what they've (allegedly Laughing ) done, here.

But, I'd rather they try to monetize my disinterest in them selling my data than they just assume I would pay nothing for that and try to sell my data without asking, I guess?

Or, I suppose to spin it differently but end up in the same place, it would be great if they'd offer me a discount if I were willing to tick a checkbox that said, "Sure, sell my data", and otherwise would agree not to do so. I wouldn't tick that box (EDIT: well, probably; I guess I do have a price, and not that incredible a price; like, charge me $0.1/mo instead of $10/mo, and yeah sure you can sell the data on me binging The Eminence in Shadow in embarrassingly record time to whoever you want) but...

EDIT: And, yeah, I think you're right that even $30 seems more than I would normally expect from one of these. I guess that makes me even more inclined to my original choice, though? Like, the amount is so low that I could get a part-time pizza-delivery job and make that money in a few hours, or I could spend that time working on a new skill.

Which isn't me trying to dissuade anybody; go for it. Heck, I hope most people don't go for it and you end up with like 1000x that in some kind of weird lawsuit lottery (at least, I guess I assume class-action lawsuits have some fixed pot of money that is distributed across whoever claims it, so you get more if fewer people chime in? Maybe I am wrong about that). I just wish this kind of issue were treated as more than a weird sideshow that occasionally shows up in the tiniest of payoffs to individuals; it feels to me like it reinforces the view of them as minor and unimportant, when collective action could have a real effect here.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:30 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Which isn't me trying to dissuade anybody; go for it. Heck, I hope most people don't go for it and you end up with like 1000x that in some kind of weird lawsuit lottery (at least, I guess I assume class-action lawsuits have some fixed pot of money that is distributed across whoever claims it, so you get more if fewer people chime in? Maybe I am wrong about that). I just wish this kind of issue were treated as more than a weird sideshow that occasionally shows up in the tiniest of payoffs to individuals; it feels to me like it reinforces the view of them as minor and unimportant, when collective action could have a real effect here.

The way it usually works is that there's a cap on the amount you can get, and the actual amount depends on how much of the settlement (minus the amount claimed by the lawyers) is split between all the registered claimants. Some cases that required physical repair, like car recalls that may have resulted in out of pocket costs or lost hours at a job to get the car serviced, also allow you to claim reimbursements on such things. Those are paid before the remaining amount is split up.

It looks like this Crunchyroll class action is worded differently than usual, giving an approximate $30 amount per claim instead of a hard cap. So theoretically, it could be more if fewer people file a claim than they are expecting. I wouldn't count on it though.

Personally, a few of my most recent class action payouts actually resulted in moderate double digit payouts, so it can be worth it. Others before that were just a single digit.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:51 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
The way it usually works is that...
It looks like this Crunchyroll class action is worded differently than usual, giving an approximate $30 amount per claim instead of a hard cap. So theoretically, it could be more if fewer people file a claim than they are expecting. I wouldn't count on it though.
... actually resulted in moderate double digit payouts, so it can be worth it. Others before that were just a single digit.

Oh, that's pretty interesting. Thanks for the breakdown!
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:26 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
The per-affected-person amount's only $30 on average, right? Is it common for a large percentage of people not to claim their part of that? I don't seem to have received the email, but that amount doesn't seem high enough to jump through a bunch of bureaucratic hoops for Shocked.

When its not advertised, unfortunately this has been advertised. Also, since they didn't seem to word as premium subscribers only and just seemingly anyone in the US with an account, and CR has *over 100 million registered users (worldwide)*, it may be unlikely to reach $30 (see the napkin math below).

Looking at the document, The settlement fund is $16 million dollars. $30 implies that 533,333 US registered users is the maximum that can be reached for each person to get $30.

The language also says the lawyers can get as much as 1/3rd of the settlement fund.
TyroKith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:57 pm Reply with quote
My email just came through. Found it in my spam folder. Submitted my claim.

"Legal Notice of Class Action Settlement" was the subject. "Kroll Settlement Administration LLC" was the sender.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:48 pm Reply with quote
A whole $30? Shocked
LuScr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Website link in the story much appreciated.

When I first got the e-mail, I thought it was a phishing scam (unsolicited message telling me to "click here" to get money?) and my anti-virus agreed--it did not like the links in the e-mail, and blocked me when I tried to click through.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:59 am Reply with quote
Update: they sent me a new email with my ID, so I was able to fill out the form.

If anyone else deleted their email, you can contact them to resend you class member ID!
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Got the email, went directly to my inbox. I guess enough people finally marked it as "not spam".

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:50 pm Reply with quote
SUPER7X wrote:
Already did. Got nothing. Thanks tho. Will have to contact the Kroll Settlement Administration LLC I guess.

Just wanted to let you know.. I got my Email This morning and it was in my Junk folder.. so just keep an eye out for it as they are coming we just don't know when we get it..
Beowulf47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:41 am Reply with quote
And nonsense like this is just one of the many reasons I stream my anime on "alternative" sites.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Aka pirating.. which is also wrong and you should not be doing! SMH
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3