• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Dangers in My Heart (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:35 pm Reply with quote
"My hands are full and I can't hold anything else."

I'm fine with Anna when she's genuine but when she pulls out lines like this, a line so blatant you can see the writer behind it, that I begin to question my own sanity.

It's gotten to the point I'd rather see Kyotaro and the always lurking Moeko interact more. I think they're a better fit.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
You are very likely going to be disappointed then, since Anna and Kyo are going towards becoming a couple and it seems like the kind of series where that will stick until the end. I would like if that meant having a show with lots of time for an established couple instead of ending when the couple is formed like many other shows do.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:16 am Reply with quote
It's likely a line Anna had to say or one she heard some other actor say it, normal people don't use metaphors so directly.

I just don't think the guy having problems with perceiving reality should be with a girl with difficulties managing hers.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
normal people don't use metaphors so directly.

Speak for yourself, metaphobe. Though I'm more prone to use similes as if they were Tourette's curses, I metaphor my way through conversations daily*. See, another figure of speech I threw in (hyperbole). I contain multitudes.

*Not daily, since I don't actually talk to people daily, or even weekly.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Anna imported lines from her professional work when she speaks with her friends. Especially when she's looking for the right way to express a complex emotion. She might well fall back on something she has heard or said as an actor.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:16 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
She might well fall back on something she has heard or said as an actor.

So does pretty much everyone? I.e. quote someone/something they've heard or read, if the topic comes up and it's relevant? I bet you or someone in your orbit has tossed out a line from a tv show or movie or book in the last 48 hours. Smile So yeah, I agree it may be words not original to her, but that doesn't make her psychotic, nefarious, manipulative, delusional or pretentious as Animegomaniac keeps trying to paint her. Or she may have a poetic/artistic/creative bent that's wholly hers, given her professional life (those quotable quotes gotta come from somebody, why not her?). Speaking metaphorically may just be something she's tapped into or picked up by osmosis and feels comfortable with. Whether it came from within or without, it was still a nice response. Smile

orbit, tossed out, paint, tapped into, picked up by osmosis (metaphors), quotable quotes (Reader's Digest). It's so common we don't even notice, just as a fish in the ocean doesn't know it's wet (appropriated paraphrased simile). (aieee, stop me before I figuratively speak again!)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:10 pm Reply with quote
You know, I kind of missed the eternal discussion we have in this topic when it comes to Anna. I admit that she is far from perfect like any person is and has some negative points and quirks to her, but she seems to strike some type of chord for Animegomaniac. I have experienced the same myself once or twice in other anime, just like with people you sometimes have a character you just dislike.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I know (see Aoi in Coppelion and Lisa in Terror in Resonance). I just got triggered by his insinuation that I'm some sort of freak for using metaphors all the time. ;D
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:11 pm Reply with quote
It's been taking me like an hour or more to watch 2nd season episodes. I keep needing to pause to cringe and get embarrassed. You're just stuck in his head the whole time and it gets unbearable for me to take.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there are some moments that make you do a double take due to the cringe, this week's karaoke was one of those moments for sure. That said, the mc is a cringey guy with some issues to work through and I like how messy and cringey that process is. We are also getting some solid progress this season and with episode 7 it does feel like a proper confession is close. The episode also had some more yandere moments.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Nothing suggestive at all about that White Day present, no siree...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The show is still going strong, they have all but confessed at this point and both families are supportive. Kyo keeps growing as a character in what he wants and how he communicates, Anna is learning and growing up too, there has even been a bit of spotlight for some side characters.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Hooo boy, that was a great way to end a great season. Everything that I liked in the first season was there and more. We had moments of painful cringe, lots of (awkward) romance and plenty of character progression, my favorite part of the show is still seeing just how much Kyoutarou has changed compared to the first episode.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:29 am Reply with quote
Did Kotaro set up a "Good Luck" fist bump that Anna choose to ignore? I'd like at least one person to see the series I just watched but I guess it's too late for that.

It is unusual here because Anna comes out and says she is self centered and manipulative in in the final episode so it isn't even subtext. I don't even think it's much of a problem as Anna seems aware of it, the issue is that Kyotaro thinks he's the one with the difficult personality.

It's a strange series about a guy completely out of his depth and a girl who has pets more than friends. I just thought that last bit was a metaphor or symbolism until the final episode; I have never seen two characters ignore another more than that scene at the subway entrance. Kobayashi even acted like those snacks came out of nowhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7