• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dropkick on My Devil! (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:33 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - Dropkick on My Devil! (TV)
Season 2 - Dropkick on My Devil!! Dash (TV2)
Season 3 - Dropkick on My Devil! X (TV3)

Genres: comedy, fantasy
Themes: fanservice, magical girl, moe

Plot Summary: Yurine Hanazono is a college student who summons Jashin-chan, a demon from the underworld. Now they must live together in a run-down apartment in Tokyo's Jinbōchō district. If Yurine dies, Jashin-chan gets to go back to the underworld, so she constantly plots to kill Yurine.

Season 1 - Amazon
Season 2 - Amazon, Crunchyroll
Season 3 - July 5, 2022 (Tuesdays; Crunchyroll)
----------------------------------

Did a forum search and also manually checked 14 pages back to 2018, but didn't see a thread. Let me know if I missed it, and I'll edit/merge.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:55 am Reply with quote
I super love this show. The comedy is on par with KonoSuba except unlike that show, this one actually has some nice characters. For me, there are always so many goofy moments in every episode that have me laughing. For example, a few episodes back when Pino, who is convinced Lierre is out to kill her, tried to get the drop on her and met her at the door with a flurry of gut punches while barking out, "Amen!" (Pico is an angel, after all). Of course it was Jashin, not Lierre who took the punishment. Or last episode where Jashin is being a brat and hogging the panda ride... we see an image of a Jashin-shaped sleeping bag she used to be sure she'd be there earlier than Lierre. That's the kind of thing that just kills me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 6

Despite the episode's name, it wasn't really a parody of Golden Kamuy. Based on its feel, this episode kind of felt like a paid tourism, which came from the fundraising of the season, seeing as the show is generally crowdfunded. I did learn that there apparently is an emu farm in Hokkaido, which seems pretty random, which I have not really seen as aggressive birds, but can be jerks.

Blood- wrote:
Or last episode where Jashin is being a brat and hogging the panda ride... we see an image of a Jashin-shaped sleeping bag she used to be sure she'd be there earlier than Lierre. That's the kind of thing that just kills me.

The whole panda thing was very funny, seeing as it was so needlessly petty that it was right in the character of Jashin, and Jashin actually managed a rare win, by actually losing by pushing Lierre to actually stoop to her level.

Also, feels a little random that I think that this is a show with official Miku appearances. Usually from Jashin messing with her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:27 am Reply with quote
I was totally expecting a Golden Kamuy parody! That would have been hilarious and very in keeping with the spirit of the show. Not sure why they let this "golden" opportunity go by.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:29 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 12 (finale)

Straight up, I will say that the season really went down hill in the second half, where several episodes turned out to be what I would guess are episodes made for tourism, perhaps due to how it was funded. It was not a one episode thing. And it just kind of felt like it lost its usual edge of excessive violence, and jokes that touch on the mean spirited. It isn't enough that Jashin be a bit mean, she has to be extra petty, and Yurine has to take way too much enjoyment in punishing Jashin. Perkora was barely a pathetic woobie. New characters were introduced since the earlier stuff, but it started feeling more wholesome, which I don't look for in this series, the majority of the time I want the opposite, to give power to the rare parts.

My rating is So-so, into the second half it so didn't grab my attention, that I actually had thoughts of just dropping it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I definitely enjoyed this title more than you did, DP, and I'm giving it a Good rating. I agree the tourism episodes were weaker than the rest. I like the new vampire characters. Come to think of it, Yurine still hasn't given them answer as to whether she'll join their clan. In addition to the show's goofy humour, I really enjoy the seiyuus performances, especially Jashin-chan's and Pekola's. Anyway, I hope there will be more of these crazy broads in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1