• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Planet With (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:13 am Reply with quote

Planet With (TV)

Genres: science fiction
Themes: mecha

Plot Summary: Sōya Kuroi has dreams of people with superpowers fighting a massive dragon in the sky, but his real life is almost as weird. He's had amnesia for about two weeks and been taken in by a maid and an anthropomorphic cat. When a UFO in the shape of a stuffed bear approaches Sorimasaka City and other metros around the world, he's startled to see seven rainbow-sparkling heroes zoom out to confront it – just like in his dream. Even weirder, the maid wants him to leave his shelter to confront these heroes and take the source of their power.
----------------------------------

Episode 1 streamed on Crunchyroll today.

The episode was interesting with the mecha themes. I mean, the mech design itself looks unique enough with the eyes and I'm curious about Kuroi's character growth. Takamagahara is kinda annoying so I hope they make her personality more appealing. A lot of questions that needs answers but it's the first special episode so they'll have time for that.

I'm guessing the guy after the ED theme song is a major antagonist or some sorts.

Seems like a neat sci-fi/mech show so far. I'm interested in more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
There is probably a Nichijou gif to adequately portray the shocked confusion that the first episode elicits. That was weird.

From trying to pick up context, while it looks like the hero is a villain, the creepy aliens might just want peace, with the aggression of the heroes being something that they are actually bad guys, with perhaps the guy at the end of the episode being a knowing part.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 am Reply with quote
I didn't have any expectation for this, but it definitely hooked me. There were a few moments that had me going "WTF?" like sensei showing his pearly whites and of course the alien. But it wasn't a WTF in a bad way, more like I have many questions and I want answers. Looking forward to more.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Okay, so he too is not a human or Earthling. The humans attacked his people, Nebulans, while thinking that they were invaders, but were mostly kinder people who preferred to keep peace or order. It might be on Earth, but humans are being aggressors by attacking first, probably under the direction of that strange guy with glowing eyes.

Makes me think of all those movies and stuff where humans just kill aliens, without being sure that they actually mean harm. Like the Battleship movie, under the common theory of misunderstandings, with humans being the real bad guys as aggressors for an easy to understand story.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

It had an interesting run. I do like how it ended, with real forgiveness and thankfulness, with Souya having grown a lot. I have seen some talk about really high thoughts of this series, that is really smart and well made, and while I think it was pretty good, I have reservations about it. Specifically, I think it was meant to be twice as long, this story feels like it should have been 24 episodes, and while I have seen some talk about it supposedly surpassing similar mecha did in that time, I don't agree. Sure it had some downtime, but I think it kind of failed to cement some real chemistry, where Nozomi feels kind of underused, with her importance feeling a bit rushed at the end, They might have had the pieces for it, but there was little time to get across in the end about these two being a couple with psychic powers. Some real chance to get across that Earth is sort of foreign to him, and that Nozomi should be a connection that Souya has with them.

The character I also liked quite a bit, that feels like she did not get enough time, would be Ginko. Sure she made food, acted as a moral compass, and had her part in the conflicts, but she feels like she became more of a plot device, than the character behind that continuous smile. Not enough focus was on what she might be going through, that it kind of feels like it comes out of nowhere when she thanks the dragon for saving her people, because we really did not get that much out of her. She was supposed to be a princess of her people, but it really did not mean anything to her character, we rarely see her think about her people. Where it looked like the most we got was some flashback, after which Souya comments on her role with her confused because she never mentioned it, and then we get the timeskip, where she changes a bit, but there is nothing else about her. I do like how GInko and Souya consider each other siblings, that is cute and sweet.

The human team also feel underdeveloped, except for perhaps the martial arts girls, their shared arc was nice, and I liked the mention of their relationship to Souya through the time skip. But I really think there was not enough time to give weight to the things they wanted. I don't dislike it, and I won't consider it a failure, but I still have my reservations that I think are worth the mention. I give a rating of Good (7/10), worth seeing, if only for its crazier moments.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:30 am Reply with quote
This was one of the strangest, most ambiguous, and creative show I've seen this year. It's a hell of an experience that got me confused in the beginning but the more I watched, the more I went with the flow and enjoyed it.

Kinda wish there was more of an aftermath though as the very final scenes felt a bit lackluster. Other than that, I hope more of Mizukami's works gets adapted in the future (this technically isn't an adaptatation as it's an original show)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1