• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Read or Die (OAV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:00 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Flock? Did the censors stop using * as a wildcard? Does that mean we can say batch now too?

Yes, my son, the Powers That Be have apparently decided that it is safe for us to use such dangerous and subversive terms as "batch", "botch", "flashback", "flock" and "frock". Truly, the times they are a-changin'!

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
I'd really like to read the manga now. The OVA left too many unanswered questions regarding plot and character development. Sad Looks like I'm gona have to start shelling the green . . . I'm going to-dayyyyyy . . . To my local bookstore - Walden, den-books . . . (ok enough New York, New York).

Oh yeah, thanks for looking into the truth.
The manga is actually very good IMO. But if you want more animated R.O.D. then check out the TV series. The TV series is alright, but OVA is better. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quote
wow, this is a very confusing OVA.lol, It was good, and left more question then answerd.
setzer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:46 pm Reply with quote
It seems like everyone liked it, now I'm sad I missed it!
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
I'd really like to read the manga now. The OVA left too many unanswered questions regarding plot and character development. Sad Looks like I'm gona have to start shelling the green . . . I'm going to-dayyyyyy . . . To my local bookstore - Walden, den-books . . . (ok enough New York, New York).

Oh yeah, thanks for looking into the truth.

Manga hasn't been licsensed yet, just so you know.

I really liked it. It's been a long time since I have seen something that I didn't want to end (two months). I wish that they had fleshed out some of the charecters more though.
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that bugs me is spoiler[how there are 2 miss Deeps, and how u can tell how the one Nacy is pregnan]? Been buging me. Mad I AM SOOO CONFUSED!!! Razz But hey i am allways like that. Laughing Huhspoiler[ i also wounder if Nancy B will get her memory back ] Confused Question Mad BURING IN THE BRAIN IT HURTS IT HURTS Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Twilight Dragon wrote:
Huhspoiler[ i also wounder if Nancy B will get her memory back ] Confused Question Mad BURING IN THE BRAIN IT HURTS IT HURTS Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Dormcat answers my question on this above. Smile
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Twilight Dragon wrote:
The only thing that bugs me is spoiler[how there are 2 miss Deeps, and how u can tell how the one Nacy is pregnan]?

spoiler[There are two miss deeps because they are both I-jin (clones). The original Nancy is dead, which is what they find out while Drake, Nancy, and Yomiko are on the airplane. That's why joker orders them to capture her, because at that point he realized what she was. As to her being pregnant and her memories, that is from ROD the TV.]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:38 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
spoiler[There are two miss deeps because they are both I-jin (clones). The original Nancy is dead, which is what they find out while Drake, Nancy, and Yomiko are on the airplane. That's why joker orders them to capture her, because at that point he realized what she was. ]

Yes, this is true enough - but.... spoiler[The "Nancy Makuhari" who is dead is not a "Ms. Deep" (that is, an I-jin clone of Mata Hari). From the picture we see on the dossier, we can tell that she bears no resemblance to the other Nancys.

So, basically, "Nancy Makuhari" is just a cover identity for "Ms. Deep", who is an I-jin double agent in the British Library ranks. It is true that discovering this is what makes Joker order her capture, but it is irrelevant to her status as a clone, because all of the I-jin are clones. Each of them is a modified super-powered clone of an 偉人 (ijin, "great person") from history. ]

Kazuki-san wrote:
spoiler[As to her being pregnant and her memories, that is from ROD the TV.]

Sorry, but that is incorrect, in so far as spoiler[ the pregnancy goes. It is revealed in the epilogue of the OVA that Nancy B (the drowned Nancy) is pregnant. Her recovery of the memories she lost takes place in the TV series, though.]

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Yes, this is true enough - but.... spoiler[The "Nancy Makuhari" who is dead is not a "Ms. Deep" (that is, an I-jin clone of Mata Hari). From the picture we see on the dossier, we can tell that she bears no resemblance to the other Nancys.
]

That's what I meant.

Kazuki-san wrote:

Sorry, but that is incorrect, in so far as spoiler[ the pregnancy goes. It is revealed in the epilogue of the OVA that Nancy B (the drowned Nancy) is pregnant. Her recovery of the memories she lost takes place in the TV series, though.]

Hmm.. I don't remember that, but I don't doubt you. Nevertheless, it is rehashed in ROD the TV as well, and the events surrounding it are revealed.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
abunai wrote:

Hmm.. I don't remember that, but I don't doubt you. Nevertheless, it is rehashed in ROD the TV as well, and the events surrounding it are revealed.

That's right... and I went back and looked at the ROD OVA epilogue again. I will agree, spoiler[the pregnancy isn't specifically stated - but it's fairly solidly implied by the behaviour of everbody in that scene, both Yomiko, Nancy (B) and Joker (off-stage, on the phone).]

- abunai
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:51 pm Reply with quote
OK KAZUKI-SAN SIR!!! I might rent it from www.animeforest.com.i think they might have it? Confused Rolling Eyes umm....
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Twilight Dragon wrote:
OK KAZUKI-SAN SIR!!! I might rent it from www.animeforest.com.i think they might have it? Confused Rolling Eyes umm....

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not... if you are, I'm not sure why.. and if you aren't...

http://www.animeforest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=646

abunai:
I'm not sure about you but spoiler[I was rather surprised at the lengths Joker was willing to go to bring Gentleman back. He seemed quite the opposite of his OVA self. It also struck me at how ruthless Wendy turned out to be. Granted, there were times when you could tell she wasn't enjoying what she had to do. I thought at first that she might turn against Joker in the end, but I guess her feelings for him turned out to be much like Nancy's were for the I-jin leader. I suppose she just wasn't strong enough to admit that what they were doing was wrong, and take action against the one she loves.]

Last edited by Kazuki-san on Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I just ordered R.O.D., and will probably start ordering R.O.D. The TV sometime next year. Smile
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
I'm not sure about you but spoiler[I was rather surprised at the lengths Joker was willing to go to bring Gentleman back. He seemed quite the opposite of his OVA self. It also struck me at how ruthless Wendy turned out to be. Granted, there were times when you could tell she wasn't enjoying what she had to do. I thought at first that she might turn against Joker in the end, but I guess her feelings for him turned out to be much like Nancy's were for the I-jin leader. I suppose she just wasn't strong enough to admit that what they were doing was wrong, and take action against the one she loves.]

When I first saw the TV series, it surprised me to see spoiler[ just how much Joker's role had seemingly been reversed, compared to the OVA. Upon reflection, however, I believe I've come to understand what drives the man.

To understand Joker's devotion to Gentleman, one must first understand his devotion to Britain. Not just any Britain, but specifically the Britain that Gentleman created by his fantastic powers of manipulating history. The dominant empire of the world (until Gentleman's decline), and a beacon of wisdom and power. Joker is not just devoted to this - he's a fanatic. He will literally do anything and sacrifice anyone to achieve his target of restoring Gentleman to power (and thereby "healing" the ailing Britain). Fanatics don't deal in reason or moderation, and Joker is no exception.

Wendy was the "dark horse" of the Library team - I don't think anyone saw her coming. Looking carefully at her behaviour in the OVA, though, it seems evident that she's another fanatic. Her devotion, however, is not to the Library or Britain or Gentleman - she is a fanatic disciple of Joker himself. He is the focus of her very own cult of personality... and if he is the cult leader, then she is the acolyte that wields the sacrificial dagger.]

Hmm. Is it any wonder I think the TV series is a masterpiece? So many details and deep motivations, overlaying each other in an intricate plot - and so many things that aren't what they seem to be.

The OVA, if I may be allowed a pun, is the ouverture. The TV series is the symphony.

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7