• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ace Attorney

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
It seemed just a tad negligent for Naruhodo not to inform Mayoi that the doctor was packing heat. I mean, he just finished up a trial that involved an elaborate shooting death.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
It seemed just a tad negligent for Naruhodo not to inform Mayoi that the doctor was packing heat.

Yes, this bothered the crap out of me! Why wouldn't Phoenix tell anyone about the gun, or at least insist the guy not take it in with him? Phoenix knew that Maya and Grey would be the only ones in the room and that if the spirit became violent (or pissed Grey off enough) that Grey would shoot Maya, and he's okay with that!? And why did they even feel the need to show that Grey had a gun? IIRC (and I might not) in the game no one knew until the shots were fired, and if Grey had kept it a secret none of this would be a problem. Just bizarre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
And why did they even feel the need to show that Grey had a gun? IIRC (and I might not) in the game no one knew until the shots were fired, and if Grey had kept it a secret none of this would be a problem. Just bizarre.

Good point - that didn't even occur to me. I would have been fine with the gun had it only been shown to the audience, and not the other characters.

Mayoi: So you knew he had a gun and didn't think that warranted a heads-up? I'm assuming he promised not to fire it, then.

Naruhodo: No, he strongly hinted that he was going to shoot you. But, you know, only if things got weird.

Mayoi: Did you show the same lack of concern for my sister's safety?

Naruhodo: Funny story - I indirectly supplied the weapon used in her murder. No way was that ugly-ass clock going in my apartment.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. They pace it way too fast. I still stand by the fact that Ace Attorney games are games where you need to take time and talk/examine everything... This anime just blows right through everything. Did it even mention how secluded the village was, and how incredibly sheltered Pearl is? I'm not remembering it having done so.

Pearl is a child character that I have enjoyed thoroughly in the games. I don't want to see her misrepresented.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Ugh. They pace it way too fast. I still stand by the fact that Ace Attorney games are games where you need to take time and talk/examine everything... This anime just blows right through everything.

To be fair some of that stuff could get tedious in the game so it makes sense to streamline some of it like some of the witness testimony, rather than say outright skip it like they did with Phoenix interviewing April May at the dentention center.

Revolutionary wrote:
Did it even mention how secluded the village was, and how incredibly sheltered Pearl is? I'm not remembering it having done so.

Pearl is a child character that I have enjoyed thoroughly in the games. I don't want to see her misrepresented.

Given how shallow and weak her character was to start with I don't think they could hurt her character in anyway via supposed misrepresentation as opposed to fleshing her out and making her more than Maya 1.5 like she was in the games.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Apollo Justice or Trucy or Ema or Maggey

Not sure why anyone would expect to see Apollo and Trucy. Ema and Maggey though....

spoiler[With Ema, it was up in the air for a long time whether or not they'd include her Turnabout, but that case was badly placed so I don't mind it being skipped for now, but it would be nice if they got to it in maybe another season or an OVA perhaps. Maggey though? I seriously doubt she'll appear before Recipe and Turnabout (which would have to be in a second season). The case she appeared in had no real worth as anything but a tutorial for people whose first Phoenix Wright game was the 2nd since it's just a tutorial (with the excuse of Phoenix having amnesia just so the player can have a reason to have the mechanics spoonfed to them). Though, it did actually take place after the current arc, so who knows? Maybe if there's a leftover episode between the current arc and Turnabout Big Top they might include it, heck, prosecutor Winston Payne was in the OP even.][/spoiler]
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
I was hoping they'd skip Turnabout Big Top. It reminds me way too much of a bad Detective Conan episode; flimsy motive, ostentatiously outlandish method of murder, and overly melodramatic conclusion. Very weak.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I was hoping they'd skip Turnabout Big Top. It reminds me way too much of a bad Detective Conan episode; flimsy motive, ostentatiously outlandish method of murder, and overly melodramatic conclusion. Very weak.

This series is full of "ostentatiously outlandish" methods of murder, though. The only problem is once you've played through a few of these cases, you begin to see how these cases are designed and begin to read through these methods long before they're actually revealed in the game. That happened to me with Turnabout Big Top.

I'm not unhappy with them showing it, though. I love Moe. Some of his terrible puns combined with his laughing expression actually had me laughing out loud.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

This series is full of "ostentatiously outlandish" methods of murder, though.

I disagree. I checked to refresh my memory and up to this point in the game series there had been bludgeonings, stabbings, and shootings but in this case spoiler[the killer lures the victim to a certain spot and drops a statue they'd rigged up on a pully]. It's a silly series but the actual murders tend to be straightforward.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

You'll get Turnabout Big Top and like its Razz
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
In light of this franchise's sustained popularity in Japan, I'm surprised they didn't commit to animating the original trilogy in its entirety.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

You'll get Turnabout Big Top and like its Razz

Yes, sir Sad
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
In light of this franchise's sustained popularity in Japan, I'm surprised they didn't commit to animating the original trilogy in its entirety.

2 out of 3 isn't so bad. I'm sure they'll get to third eventually. The series was pulling good numbers on TV last O checked.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

That would explain the lack of Rise From The Ashes but not Lost Turnabout.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Ace Attorney is no longer covered. That means more attention can be focused on shows worth covering.

I don't get it. I know for a fact that A1 pictures can, and have, made shows with beautiful production quality. Did they get their D team on this show? Did they outsource the production to a basement garage? And if funding was the problem, why didn't the production committee give a proper funding if they want to advertise the game?

I remember when I saw the first episode, I made it to the OP before I burst out laughing. This is some DEEN level production quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8