• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Library War.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
episode 6
eh, not so good. I liked a Dojou's backstory, however spoiler[ Tezuka's "those bastards!" after hearing about Komaki's leg abrasion had me laughing. It was just too much. ]

I also kind of wish Iku weren't so naive in terms of relationships. Back when spoiler[Tezuka asked her out, she got red in the face and spluttered, etc. And it wasn't just because it was him, I think. Isn't she 22 or something?]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was just as fun and exciting as the rest of the episodes. There was more action this time (spoiler[the fist-fight in the flashback was hilarious]), and I like how we learn something new about their world in each episode. And if I'm correct, spoiler[the "Book of Prophecy" is actually supposed to be Fahrenheit 451.]

rainbowcourage wrote:
I also kind of wish Iku weren't so naive in terms of relationships. Back when spoiler[Tezuka asked her out, she got red in the face and spluttered, etc. And it wasn't just because it was him, I think. Isn't she 22 or something?]

What does this mean? Sounds like a normal reaction to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

rainbowcourage wrote:

What does this mean? Sounds like a normal reaction to me.

It means that when I hope I'm 22 and a guy asks me out I don't act like a twelve-year-old who thinks boys are icky and/or mysterious and am able to calmly discuss it with said guy. I know people who are my age who might have her reaction realistically, but she's six years older than me.
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:

It means that when I hope I'm 22 and a guy asks me out I don't act like a twelve-year-old who thinks boys are icky and/or mysterious and am able to calmly discuss it with said guy. I know people who are my age who might have her reaction realistically, but she's six years older than me.

Given her height and tomboyish nature, I think Iku's experience with men has been very limited. So she's going to react to it more like a younger person might, because the experience level would be the same between her and a teen.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad considering that I've been like that my whole life and probably will feel the same way in three years. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe I'm the first to mention the writers openly acknowledge that they have a sense of humor and irony with "Book of Prophecy" which is no dubt refering to, for those unfamilliar with classic literature, spoiler[Fahrenheit 451] from which most of the concepts of this series comes from. Wink
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:

Given her height and tomboyish nature, I think Iku's experience with men has been very limited. So she's going to react to it more like a younger person might, because the experience level would be the same between her and a teen.

I know it's her character and that I should just accept and move on; eh, it's just a personal gripe. There seem to be a lot of those "blushing maiden" types in anime; I'd like to see a young adult who is more mature about it for those of us who don't have such severe guy troubles. Someone who is confident and honest and composed at the same time.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I can't believe I'm the first to mention the writers openly acknowledge that they have a sense of humor and irony with "Book of Prophecy" which is no dubt refering to, for those unfamilliar with classic literature, spoiler[Fahrenheit 451] from which most of the concepts of this series comes from. Wink

I said that in my first post above, but of course I wasn't 100% sure. Wink
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

I said that in my first post above, but of course I wasn't 100% sure. Wink

It's most certainly without a doubt, as it's titled spoiler[505K, the rounded down conversion of 451F]

As for rainbowcourage's request for stronger characters when faced with romantic possibilities, while they aren't crawling out of the walls like tsundere and moe, there are certainly a few I can toss out with little though: Cowboy Bebop's Faye Valentine, Kino from Kino's Journey, and Nana from NANA come to mind immediately.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it's good to see a stronger female character here and there but eh, I don't care either way. In fact I kind of like the blushing maiden type. I've always found it cute when a girl blushes like that, personally. Anime smile But hey, I'm just a dumb guy, what do I know. Wink

But that's part of what I like so much about Iku though. She's such a tough, tomboy type girl but at the same time there's a sense of cute girlyness to her as well. Not too tomboyish, but at the same time not too girly as well. She's just right. Smile

Also, regarting the spoiler[Fahrenheit 451 reference,] I laughed out loud I thought that was so aweseome! Cool So does that apparently mean that spoiler[Ray Bradbury is some sort of Prophet then? Laughing]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
It's most certainly without a doubt, as it's titled spoiler[505K, the rounded down conversion of 451F]

spoiler[Komaki's earlier description of the book has me pretty sure, but when I tried to read the title at the end I didn't think to make the conversion and assumed it must have been some kind of parody title. Good to know I'm at least a little more perceptive than I think!] Laughing
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed episode 6. Quite a bit more than the five previous episodes, to be honest. Hopefully I'll find the rest of the series just as fun and enjoyable as this episode.

The spoiler[fist fight flashback] was indeed hilarious. Laughing

I missed the spoiler[Fahrenheit 451 reference], though. I've never read that book, so it went over my head, sadly. I'm glad I read the posts here, or I would have never known about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was interesting. I'm really curious as to what spoiler[Tezuka's brother is up to]. Time will [hopefully] tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Despite what she displayed in the first few episodes, Iku has really been able to display herself as a strong female lead in these recent episodes especially in episode 7 with her answer to Shibasaki's question and how she handled the news thatspoiler[she is to be interrogated.] There also seems to be much more to the plot then just two factions getting into firefights with each other now that we've learned a little about spoiler[Tezuka's brother].
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that was very interesting indeed. spoiler[I think that might go a long ways as to explain why it seems a bit contradictory for these two factions to be allowed to fight each other, because it seems as if the Library Corps aren't quite as just as we thought they were just as the Media Enhancement Group isn't either.......]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7